cPort Credit Union to Provide Financial Assistance for Members Affected by Government Shutdown
At cPort Credit Union, formerly the Government Employees Credit Union of Maine, we know that many of our members are concerned about the financial impact of the federal government shutdown. We want to help our members through this time of uncertainty.
A few important notes about the shutdown:
- Social Security payments will NOT be impacted; you would still receive your Social Security payments (more info here at ssa.gov).
- The US Postal Service and Federal Reserve will NOT be impacted; the USPS will continue to operate and deliver mail and the Federal Reserve would remain open.
We also want to assure you that the credit union itself will not be affected by the government shutdown. The National Credit Union Association will remain open, and your accounts will remain insured up to $250,000.
Options for Affected Federal Employees
cPort has options available to members who are directly affected by the shutdown to help you meet your financial needs until a resolution is reached.
- Skip-A-Payment: Depending on the type of loan you have with cPort, you can Skip-A-Payment with the fee waived.
- Payroll Loans: We will offer an interest-free, 30-day loan for the amount of your paycheck. For payroll loans, we may require proof that you are active duty military or a federal employee and directly affected by the shutdown.
- Early Share Certificate Withdrawal: We will waive the early withdrawal fee on a share certificate for the amount of your missed paycheck.
To learn more about your options, please call 1-800-464-0253 to speak with a member service representative or email email@example.com. We are here to serve you!
To read more about the shutdown, here are a few helpful articles:
Absolutely everything you need to know about how the government shutdown will work - The Washington Post