Unfortunately, phone scams are a common form of financial crime in Maine and across the country. Phone scammers can use many different angles to try to get your account information. Being aware of their tactics can help to avoid being a victim of a phone scam.
Watch out for these methods that scammers can try to trick people into sharing private information:
- Urgent or time sensitive offers for discounts or prizes.
- Fraudulent charitable causes.
- Posing as a friend or family member, or stating that a friend or family member is in trouble.
If you think you’re speaking with a scammer, keep these tips in mind:
- Protect your information: never give out your account or personal information over the phone to someone who called you.
- Trust your gut: if you’re suspicious or if an offer seems too good to be true, hang up.
- Take your time: a legitimate caller won’t rush you to make a decision.
cPort is here to help. If you ever feel as though your information has been compromised, please contact us at 1-800-464-0253.